Following the removal of Former Electoral Commissioner, Madam Charlotte Osei and her two deputies, President Akufo-Addo has nominated a replacement. Mrs Jean Adukwei Mensa has been nominated as the new chairperson of the Electoral Commission alongside two deputies and one member. Her nomination has heightened public interest in Mrs Jean Adukwei Mensa and who she is.
These are 5 facts about Mrs Jean Mensa Adukwei that may be of interest to you.
- Executive Director of the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA)
The new Electoral Commissioner nominee is the Executive Director of the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA). She joined the IEA in 2000 and rose to the position of Executive Director in 2009. She also works as the Co-ordinator of the Ghana Political Parties Programme. To work as EC boss, she will step down as Executive Director of the IEA.
- She is a lawyer by profession.
Mrs. Jean Adukwei Mensa is a lawyer by profession. She also has a great interest in the field of policy research and advocacy. She is well grounded in matters of political governance and democracy.
- Commissioner of 1992 Constitution Review Commission
She played a crucial role in the 1992 constitution Review Commission. She served as commissioner of the commission in 2010. The revised the 1992 Constitution of Ghana which is currently in a draft form. She also helped in formulating the Political Party Funding Bill as well as the revised Political Party Bill.
- She is currently a member of the Government Committee tasked with preparing the Affirmative Action Bill.
5. She was also involved in the development of policies such as the Presidential Transition Act of 2012.