The biggest ever passenger airliner , Airbus A380, which can carry between 525 and 853 people depending on class configuration, tested the facilities and infrastructure at Ghana’s new Terminal 3 yesterday.
Now, aside the good news of the airliner landing in Ghana, the aircraft was flown by a Ghanaian Pilot. Here are some interesting things about the pilot you should know and be proud of as a Ghanaian:
- The name of the pilot is Captain Solomon Quianoo.
- He has done over 10,000 flying hours working for respected international airlines.
- He holds a BSc. in Mathematics, Physics and Geology from the University of Ghana.
- He also has a Master of Engineering degree in Aerospace, Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering from the Kingston University, London.
- He was employed at the British Airways as a Material Agent/Design Engineer. He then enrolled at the Oxford Aviation Training for his pilot qualification course .He completed in 2003.
- After obtaining his license as a pilot, his first role was with the British Midland International .During his six-year stay at there, he flew the Boeing 737 and 300, 400 and 500 series amongst others.
- Captain Quianoo has been with Emirates for seven years now and has gone through the ranks: he has served as first officer – for five years, then captain for two years.
- Captain had his secondary education at the Koforidua Sec. Tech School in the Eastern Region of Ghana.