Students of the Chereponi Senior High Technical School are demanding clearance to go home following the conflict in the area.
The Northern Regional Police Command, however, says further stakeholder meetings are needed to determine if students of the Chereponi Senior High Technical School will be allowed to go home or not.
This is after a decision was taken at a previous meeting that the students should remain in school despite clashes between the Annufuls and Konkombas in the area which had resulted in some deaths.
Speaking to Citi News, however, Public Relations Officer of the Northern Regional Police Command, DSP Mohammed Yussif Tanko said a stakeholder meeting will determine their next line of action.
“So, it is surprising that the students this morning massed up at the Police Station wanting to be allowed to go home. But this is not a decision for the police alone to take. Other stakeholders are being contacted, they will meet and decide on the next line of action”, he noted.
We’re not evacuating SHS students
The Police in Chereponi earlier denied reports that students of the School will be evacuated following renewed clashes in the area.
There were reports that the evacuation of Kokumba students has become necessary over the fear of reprisal attacks since the school is situated in an area mostly occupied by Anufuls.
The District Police Commander for Chereponi, Chief Superintendent, Henry Amankwatia who spoke on Eyewitness News said the police have no plans of moving students out of the town.
Safety of students assured
The District Chief Executive and school authorities assured the students of their safety but some of the students have left for home for fear of their lives.
“We still have a majority of them in school. Only a few of them have gone and some too are agitating to leave especially those who are not natives,” he said.
The teacher also said academic activities have been affected following the development.
“Today they were supposed to have a paper [exams] but they couldn’t write it because of the situation.”
For now, he said the school was waiting to see if the school will eventually be closed down.
“We have reported the case to the District Chief Executive so we are seeing how it will be; whether there will be a temporary close down or what measures they are going to put in place so we are waiting,” the teacher added.