Jollof rice is a delicacy enjoyed by many Africans and non-Africans alike. Ghanaians are arguably one the best lovers of this meal. This is a delicious jollof rice recipe which is a combination of unique Ghanaian flavors.
This recipe is made with chicken on the side. It can be eaten with a salad or spaghetti on the side as well.
2 Cups of Rice
Chicken (or any other meat of your choice)
4 Large sized tomatoes
2 Tablespoons of tomato puree (optional)
5 ounces of Cooking oil
1 Large Onion
1 Clove of garlic
1 Tsp of ground ginger
4 Small green peppers
2 Chili peppers
1 Smoked mackerel or any fish of your choice (Optional)
Spices: Curry powder, cloves, thyme, shrimp cubes or other preferred spices
Vegetables: carrots, green bell pepper, green peas, spring onions (optional)
First, prepare the chicken
- Wash the chicken
- Season with salt, garlic and ginger
- Steam the chicken for about 10 minutes/ till it is done
- Allow the chicken to cool down for a few minutes
- Fry the chicken
- Once the chicken is done, remove it from the oil and strain
- Set aside
Cook the Jollof rice
- Pour the oil (about 5 ounces) into a cooking dish
- Once the temperature of the oil increases, add sliced onions, diced garlic and sliced small green peppers to the oil
- Once the onion begins to brown a little, add the tomato puree and stir
- Add blended fresh tomato and chili
- Allow to simmer until the water in the tomatoes begin to dry (it begins to form a stew)
- Add the spices
- When it forms a stew, break the smoked washed mackerel and add it to the stew
- After about thirty seconds, add the chicken stock; add a little more water if the chicken stock is not enough to cook the rice.
- Taste for salt and adjust as required
- Add the rice to the jollof stock you have prepared and reduce the heat.
- Allow it to simmer on low heat
- After a few minutes, add the veggies to the rice and cover with a foil or a clean napkin before covering with the lid
- Allow to simmer until the rice is cooked.
- One the rice is cooked, your Jollof is ready.
- Serve with chicken on the side
Jollof rice, like any other dish is best served hot. This is the best Ghanaian jollof rice recipe. Enjoy!
Reply in the comments if you have any questions on this recipe 😊.
Very easy to prepare