Today marks exactly 93 years since one of Ghana’s most prestigious secondary schools was born. The Achimota College was founded with a total of 120 students on January 28th 1927. At its initial naming, it was called the Prince of Wales College.
It was established after the then Governor of the Gold Coast (1919 to 1927), Sir Gordon Guggisberg urged local Gold Coast residents to create a school. The government of the Gold Coast at that time, felt the need to establish an advanced form of education to tackle the intellectual gap in higher learning among the indigenes.
The school was, therefore, established as part of Guggisberg’s plan to reform the educational system in the Gold Coast. It was modelled on the British public education curriculum. The main aim was to provide teacher training, technical training, and secondary schooling for people of the Gold Coast.
The history of Achimota cannot be told without mentioning the mammoth efforts of Dr James Emman Kwegyir Aggrey and Rev. Alexander Garden Fraser. They were an integral part of the committee that recommended the establishment of the Achimota school.
According to popular beliefs Governor Guggisberg had initially planned to make the school a single-sex school for boys; however, Rev Alexander and Dr Aggrey insisted on making the school a co-ed with the inclusion of girls as students.
In 1948, the college became three separate entities: the University College of the Gold Coast (now the University of Ghana), the Achimota Teacher Training College, and Achimota School. Currently, the Achimota college is still in operation as the Achimota school with a Junior Secondary and Primary school.
0 responses on "HURRAY! THE ACHIMOTA SCHOOL IS 93 YEARS TODAY!"