The 2018 International Day of the Girl is celebrated on the theme, ‘With Her: A Skilled GirlForce’. This theme is focused on preparing girls to actively participate in the workforce when they grow up.
Girls in today’s generation are growing up to meet a world of work defined by technology and innovation. Unfortunately, most of these girls do not have access to education and are likely to find themselves in the informal sector with fewer skills and low wages.
These are 6 reasons why it is important to recognize and mark International Day of the Girl 2018.
1. It triggers actions that must be taken to broaden learning opportunities and groom girls to be prepared for demands of the world of work in the future.
2. It helps to engage stakeholders to heighten advocacy and push for interventions and investments to provide opportunities for girls that will secure their future.
3. Advocacy is done against all forms of discrimination, abuse, and violence against girls all over the world.
4. Reminds society to motivate girls and remind them that no dream is too big to achieve.
5. It gives girls a voice to speak against injustice and oppression and all forms of limitations and abuse.
6. It is a tool to advocate against all forms of stereotypes against girls and their future.
It is up to stakeholders including parents, teachers, policy makers and advocacy groups to work together and create sustainable measures to empower and prepare girls for the future.